refine your search
Forming good habits requires decication and diligence, especially in the beginning.
TOP 3 Trends For Q1 Hiring in e-Discovery & Cybersecurity
- Clients are hiring faster and more frequently than they were in January and February and “pulling the trigger” on many jobs in the interview process from as early as November.
- Consulting firms continue to put a premium on federal employees with the technical and consultative skills to build and grow cybersecurity practices throughout the country.
- Law firms are showing particular interest in hiring contract e-discovery professionals to augment their staff for big projects, especially at the analyst level.
Wednesday, 22 March, 2017
If you are managing up to your boss, then your boss has time to mentor you. If your boss is managing you, they will likely have little time for mentorship.
TOP 3 Ways To Manage Up To Your Boss
- Organize reports of your activity and effort for your boss to review weekly. If your boss has to watch what you do daily they will likely be forced to micromanage.
- Use escalation as a "teachable moment" for your boss to mentor you in a high stakes incident. Escalation does not mean you exit the equation. Ride sidecar with your boss and get exposed to how they handle escalated situations.
- Set achievable quarterly goals for yourself, share them with your boss, and elicit feedback from your boss on whether you have achieved those goals. Then examine together how and why you did or did not meet your goals.
Wednesday, 15 March, 2017
Resistance to reinvent professionally with industry trends will only lead to disillusionment later in your career.
TOP 3 Areas Where An e-Discovery Professional Can Reinvent Themselves And Add Value To Their Career
- Information governance
- Incident response/data breach prevention and remediation
- Risk assessment and mitigation
Wednesday, 08 March, 2017
The base salary of Project Managers in e-discovery is quickly dropping.
TOP 3 Reasons Why Base Compensation For Project Managers In e-Discovery Is In Decline
- Vendor and law firm consolidation have created redundant roles.
- Supply is balanced with (if not exceeding) demand so salaries have declined, which is also why so many Project Managers are choosing the contract staffing career path.
- Industry price compression and commoditization have eaten away at vendor margins, thus talent must be hired at lower, more profitable rates.
Thursday, 02 March, 2017
Stuxnet: the first known digital weapon used to physically destroy its targets. First identified in 2010, Stuxnet was responsible for causing damage to Iran's Nuclear Program. The software erased itself in 2012.
TOP 3 Critical Infrastructure Cyber Terms To Know
- Zero day: A "hole" or vulnerability in your computer which allows someone to execute code on your computer without your knowledge. There is no fix for a zero day.
- SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) strings: Technology that controls automation or robots. Seen often in critical infrastructure.
- PLC (programmable logic controllers): Computer systems used for converting digital codes into physical commands. Used often in manufacturing, power grids, and centrifuges.
Wednesday, 22 February, 2017
Sometimes bosses have to leave their jobs so that mentees can become bosses.
TOP 3 Skills That Will Be In High Demand In 2017
- Office 365 skills: data import, export, migration, and collection
- Structured Data engineering
- Compliance frameworks and privacy statute policy creation and adherence
Thursday, 16 February, 2017
Cybersecurity providers would be wise to get into the legal market now, before e-discovery providers begin to build cybersecurity departments of their own.
TOP 3 Takeaways From LTNY 2017
- Ghost Town: The extreme vendor consolidation was evident on the vendor floor with fewer booths than any of the last seven years since the recession. The reduced foot traffic on the vendor exhibit floor was eerily noticeable after the initial Tuesday morning rush, leading many to fear the future of what exhibiting means for driving revenue in the space. E-discovery vendors continued to dominate the floor, but there was a clear lack of energy from all exhibiting. The additional fee to enter the exhibit hall did not help matters.
- Cyber Who? Few if any cybersecurity exclusive service providers were in attendance at the conference despite the fact that cybersecurity was the most talked about topic in education sessions. As stated in this week’s tip, cyber vendors have a narrow window to overtake the legal market before legal specific vendors build practices to compete, namely in incident response and information governance.
- Suites are Sweet: The real deals and demonstrations at LTNY are being done in suites with greater intimacy and focus from the vendor community. LTNY seems to be turning towards more of an opportunity to have these kinds of meetings, regardless if you are buyer or seller.
Wednesday, 08 February, 2017
According to a recent study, ACEDS found that more than over one-third of their certified professionals have over ten years of e-discovery industry experience! (Get more compelling ACEDS statistics from Mary Mack on January 30, at our “State of the Industry” event!)
TOP 3 Things You Will Learn At Our State Of The Industry Event
- A full history of e-discovery staffing trends including hiring metrics for geography, remote hiring, relocations, contract versus direct hire ratios, base compensation ranges, variance in hiring levels, and more
- How you can (and should) begin to transition your career from e-discovery to cybersecurity
- Wild and compelling statistics about data breach accelerations, corporate thoughts about security, salaries for cybersecurity professionals, and the scope of data proliferation in the cloud
Wednesday, 25 January, 2017
LinkedIn’s CEO Jeff Weiner believes that the ideal employee should fit into the overlap of three areas: “dreaming big, knowing how to have fun, and getting s--- done.
TOP 3 Ways To Prepare For Attending LegalTech New York
- Networking: Who are the people you must meet at the event? Have you scheduled meetings?
- Learning: What content do you want to absorb at the conference? Are you attending paid sessions? Have you explored the many free sessions available around the event (including TRU’s on January 30 – Register here)?
- Demos: What new technology or offerings do you want to see demonstrated? Most vendors give demos all day long in suites at the Hilton and surrounding hotels. Reach out to your vendors today to request a demo!
Tuesday, 24 January, 2017